Western Red Cedar is a truly sustainable building material. It has the lowest environmental impact when compared with other materials such as brick and fiber cement. Independently certified, it is harvested legally and sustainably from managed forests in British Columbia. Here at Sterritt Lumber, we are so proud that the harvesting of this material truly helps
keep the environment healthy for generations to come. Make the right choice for your client and your environment, go green with Western Red Cedar.
Cedar decking is derived from a renewable resource. It grows in managed forests, is harvested, manufactured, and used for decades or even centuries. Then, when its useful life span has ended, it returns to the earth to keep this natural cycle in tact.
This demonstrates why real cedar decking is the environmentally sound choice when compared with alternative materials like concrete, plastic or metal. Only wood comes from a renewable, biodegradable resource. Modern sustainable forestry practices ensure a constant abundance of high-quality wood from North America’s forests. Aluminum and concrete come from materials extracted from the earth. Once removed, they can never be replaced. Plastics are derived from thin petroleum reserves.
Of each tree harvested, 95% goes into useful products. The remaining 5%, the branches, is left on the forest floor to biodegrade into healthy compost for the next crop.
If you are concerned about tomorrow, just know that utilizing the many facts of cedar will alleviate your worry!